What is Jaundice in newborn babies and children?
There are two types of jaundice that may strike a newborn baby that is being breastfed. A jaundice test looks for high level of bilirubin; which makes a baby’s skin and eye whites look yellow in color.
Neonatal jaundice occurs in about 70% of term and 80% of preterm newborn babies. The level of bilirubin detected in your baby’s blood is used to decide whether any treatment is necessary.
You should know that some increase in the newborn baby jaundice is normal. This is due to:
- The breakdown of red blood cells – which release bilirubin into the blood.
- The immaturity of the newborn’s liver – which cannot effectively metabolize the bilirubin and prepare it for excretion into the urine.
Newborn baby and children’s jaundice symptoms
Each symptom is not necessarily an indicator on its own of high jaundice levels in newborns
- Stool that is pale or clay colored
- Urine that is darker in color
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- A high fever
- Symptoms that are similar to the Flu, such as muscle and joint pain
- Itchy skin
- Unusual weight loss
- Loss of appetite
Are you worrying that your baby born has yellow skin or any of the previous jaundice symptoms? You might be seeing a case of neonatal jaundice. Please, contact a pediatrician right away so you can be sure what caused the condition and how to treat it.
Painless Jaundice tests at home are the new black! No needles, no need. No pain, no worries.
Bilirubin level in your newborn baby is commonly measured in a jaundice test using:
- A blood sample taken by pricking your baby’s heel with a needle causing pain and trauma to the neonate. In addition there are numerous Lab differences in the performance of the bilirubin analyzers. These problems have led to search for a non-invasive, reliable technique for estimation of bilirubin (Transcutaneous Bilirubinometer)
- A hand-held device called a bilirubinometer, which beams light on to your baby’s skin – it calculates the level of bilirubin by analyzing how the light reflects off or is absorbed by the skin. This device is available for pediatrics home visits 24 hours.
Blood tests are usually only necessary if your baby developed jaundice within 24 hours of birth. Or if the reading on the jaundice test meter is particularly high. The handheld “pain free” jaundice meter is one of the latest pediatrics medical technologies. The device is hygienic and saves you time of looking for a hospital and waiting in queues when every second matters.
Please fill in the details to book a home or clinic jaundice test
[contact-form-7 id=”3765″ title=”book a visit”]